Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Devin Lima & the Cadbury Diesel

Let me just state something for the record: I have no problem with a lack of originality. If you
can write a great pop song using a tried and true formula, then my hat is off to you. That being
said, when I do come across originality in music I'm especially impressed because it's so difficult
to be different in today's music culture.

Devin Lima & the Cadbury Diesel's "Mozart Popart" is one of the most unique pieces of art I've
beheld in a long time. It blends equal parts R&B, Rock, and Europop to form one of the most
original sounds I've ever heard. There's even tinges of hip-hop laced in between the
lines.

Lima has an incredible voice but that's only a small part of what makes up his total package. He
has an incredible grasp of melody, lyricism, and an amazing backing band in the Cadbury Diesel.
This is one of the best records I've heard, probably, all year.

Just so we're clear, I'm aware that Lima was formerly in boy-band, LFO. While they were fun,
"Mozart Popart" is a work of pop genius. Just give this album a spin, if you don’t like it...well...
then you’re dumb.

http://www.myspace.com/devilima

No comments: